As a fresher coming to uni, it was a big change. Leaving home and living with complete strangers, studying independently, managing money and learning how to nurse a horrible hangover. If there was anything I could change I would have loved to have a fairy godmother or some sort of mystical mermaid who gave me advice and lessons before I came. Here are a list of the lessons and unfortunate truths I learnt and advice I think would be useful to any new uni student.
- First year is important. Okay it may not count towards your grade but it prepares you for the next two or three years and enables to use your skills efficiently.
- You will spend a lot of money on alcohol, ditch the Ciroc and Grey Goose you are not Jay Z.
- Don’t waste your money on branded food and items. Pasta is pasta, bread is bread and your student loan will not cater to your lavish lifestyle.
- Societies are the best place to meet new people and they look fabulous on your CV and you can pick up a new skill.
- THE LIBRARY IS YOUR FRIEND. USE AND ABUSE IT.
- Freshers flu is real. The struggle is real. Dose up on that tea and orange juice now. It gets the best of us.
- You probably won’t see your college friends as much as you thought you would.
- Keep a constant eye out on your food, your flat mates will smile in your face and steal your food behind your back.
- Speaking of flatmates, do not sleep with them. No one wants 9 months of awkwardness.
- Take advantage of workshops, counselling services, career days, career presentations etc. These services are there to be used. Mental health is important and there will always be someone who will listen to you ad help you.
- Be careful of netflix and chill, you went to watch movie not to conceive a baby.
- If you think you’re the ugly friend. Don’t worry uni does wonders, you will Glo up. The transformation will happen.
- Meet new people, diversify yourself. The differences in other people will help you learn about yourself and form your own opinions.
- Those people who say they don’t revise and get good grades, they are LYING. Make sure you revise unless God is directly speaking to you and giving you the answers.
The list goes on but I sure you will find out for yourself. Uni will be the best three years of your life. Take your exams seriously but don’t forget to have fun learn about yourself. Uni is the key to the door of life. HAVE FUN!